|Museum of Old Vaasa |
The wealthiest burgess in the city of Vaasa was Abraham Falander also known as the noble Wasastjerna. He built the Wasastjerna house in 1780-1781. The building was the only privately owned stone building in the city and it was spared in the great city fire in 1852. The museum of Old Vaasa functions in the building, which has been furnished into a middle-class home from the end of the 18th century to the beginning of the 19th century with items that were spared from the great city fire. The building also contains a ship owner’s office; a post office from the 19th century; and maps and scale models that represent the history of Old Vaasa.
The Louko-cottage that has been transferred to the courtyard from Ylistaro represents the living conditions of a wealthy Ostrobothnian rural tradesman between the 17th and 18th centuries. According to tradition the cottage has survived the devastation of the Isoviha (Great Wrath).
The 1860’s cowshed, stables, and the storage building on the other side of the court yard have been transferred to the museum area from the New Vaasa.
Address: Kauppiaankatu 10
Telephone: +358 (0)6 356 7087, inquiries Ostrobothnian museum:
+358 (0)6 325 3800 .